Given that Duncan nominated me for a Versatile Blogger Award the other day, I find the timing ironic to this post I have been planning all week. Well first let me tell you seven things about myself as required of me to accept this honor.
- I took a stand up comedy class several years ago. The final required us to do a 10 minute set in front of a live audience. I consistently speak in front of small groups of 15-30 people and have given presentations in front of groups as large as 300. That I had no problem doing. HOWEVER, put me at a cocktail party with a bunch of people I don’t know in a non business setting and I am a wallflower.
- I have been posting cartoons online since 2006. First on someone else’s site and since 2008 on my own.
- I am in awe every day of the talented and funny people that consistently make their way over here to comment.
- In the last 3 years I have not missed a my self imposed schedule of posting every Sunday and Wednesday. (Something keen observers will notice I broke my streak when I didn’t post this past Sunday)
- I am constantly jealous of those who can draw better than I.
- It takes me an hour to visit everyone’s blog in my RSS reader and comment EACH DAY. Many times I eat lunch at my desk and pour through. Other times I am doing it after work.
- I feel like the great and powerful OZ. Because of the engagement I get on my site, people assume I get tons of traffic. The reality is that I average about 400-600 hits a day. The same amount as I had 3 years ago.
So what are you trying to tell us??
Well work (my real job) has been busier than ever. Twice in the last four months (this week included) I ended up on antibiotics for sinus infections/flu because of running myself ragged. Additionally, I have been wanting to take some classes, wanting to revamp the outdated look of this site, wanting to write a book, wanting to get better at caricaturing and do more of it, wanting to develop a game idea I have had. All of which has been taking a back seat to my self imposed posting schedule and desire to comment on everything my regulars post as well.
So are you done?
In short, NO!. However, there are going to be some changes to this blog and to what I do. First I am no longer posting on any sort of schedule. When I am inspired I will post. That means I might not post for several weeks or I might post 3 times in a week. All depends. Second, while I truly love you all, I will not be making the rounds to other blogs nearly as much as I have in the past. I need to force myself to take on some of the other things on my list. It won’t mean I am going away, just not as big of a presence. If you want me to see your stuff…post on Google Plus. That is easy for me to check in during grocery store line waits or in the car when the wife is driving. Going from blog to blog on a phone is hard.
I hope to share with you my progress in my endeavors. I have accomplished what I wanted with this site for now. It is time to take it in some new directions. Hope you will come around periodically to check it out.